Home Repair Frequently Asked Questions

cropped-cash-logo-final-002.jpgCreating Assets Saving & Hope
Emergency Repairs and Accessibility Modifications


Through this program, homeowners in Kansas can open an IDA account, where their savings (up to $2,000) will be matched 3:1 by Kansas Housing Resources Corporation (KHRC) for emergency repairs and/or accessibility modification.  Upon submission of all of the necessary documents and determination of eligibility, client may open his or her IDA account and begin saving. As soon as client has deposited his or her desired amount up to $2,000, he or she can move forward with the home repair project.  We will submit payment to the contractor upon verification from both the client and the contractor that the project has been completed.  There will be some final paperwork for the client to sign, including the retention agreement.  We will then file the retention agreement with the local Register of Deeds and provide the client with a copy of the filed document, as well as submit all of the final paperwork to KHRC.


Who is eligible for this program?

  1. Applicant must be the owner and current resident of the property.
  2. Applicant must be current on property tax payments and mortgage payments (if applicable).
  3. Applicants purchasing their homes on land contracts will be assessed on a case by case basis for eligibility.
  4. Applicant’s household annual income must meet income guidelines (see chart); this includes income for anyone living in the home.
  5. Applicant must abide by contractor bid requirements.
  6. If the home is a mobile or modular home, it must be on a foundation on land that the applicant owns.
  7. Applicant must abide by the KHRC retention agreement, which is prorated over a three year period.
  8. Applicant must complete requirements of the CASH program.

What are the income guidelines?

Income guidelines are as follows:
What documentation is required?

Documentation required from applicant:

  1. Completed application for KHRC.
  2. Verification of income for anyone living in the home.
  3. Statements showing that real estate taxes and mortgage payments (if applicable) are current.
  4. Copy of the deed to the home.
  5. Two bids from licensed and insured contractors.
  6. Any other documentation required to be completed for the CASH program.

What is the retention agreement?

The retention agreement is filed with the Register of Deeds in the county where the applicant lives. In signing the agreement, the applicant agrees to stay in the home for a period of at least 3 years following the completion of the home repair. Should the applicant sell the home before the 3 years have passed, he or she could be required to pay back a pro-rated amount of the funds received from KHRC out of the proceeds from the sale of the home. If the applicant remains in the home for at least 3 years, he or she will not owe any money to KHRC.

What qualifies as an emergency and/or an accessibility modification?

Some examples of emergency repairs would be dangerous electrical issues, leaking roofs, sewer systems, serious foundation issues, furnace replacement/repair, and air conditioning for the elderly. Examples of accessibility modifications include wheelchair ramps, hand rails, bathroom modifications, and widening doorways. Applicants with questions about whether their project would qualify need to contact IHS prior to submitting their application.